Many people say pelvic inflammatory disease is a challenge in ladies, but men could have a problem at the pelvic region. We are not going to focus on men this time but strictly women because we relating it to the menstrual cycle.
I believe you got much information from my last week discussion on the well paid health jobs in the world. Encourage your children and upcoming youths that have interest to build careers in them. The world needs more clinical psychologists, nurses, medical laboratory scientists, nutritionist to treat so many ailments and conditions all over the world.
One professional I will like to add to the list are Radiographers. A radiographer is also an important professional in the health care team who help in the diagnosis of some disease conditions like cancer, heart disease, chest / upper respiratory diseases, the current condition of a baby in the womb and so on. They are very also important in the diagnosis of this same pelvic inflammatory disease.
What is pelvic inflammatory disease?
Let me tell you what the 10 truths about PID are;
- No less than 4 young women present causes of pelvic inflammatory disease every week in primary health care and community pharmacies.
- Not less than 7 patients present related cases of Pelvic inflammatory disease.
- PID is mostly cause through sexual intercourse.
- Most of affected are under 25 years of age.
- Up to 20% of women with PID become infertile or lead to secondary infertility.
- PID could be called a woman challenge but most not be taken with levity because their greater risk of developing ectopic pregnancy.
- There has been a link between PID and use of contraceptives but still under research.
- It could also be easily diagnosed through regular medical checkup.
- This disease could be easily misdiagnosed; confused with ulcer, appendicitis and ectopic pregnancy.
- And Pelvic inflammatory disease can be prevented and treated.
How does PID develop?
Pelvic inflammatory disease is caused by the presence of organisms like Chlamydia trachomatis, Streptococcus and Neisseria gonorrhea in the pelvic region consisting of the uterus lining called endometrium. The pelvic region also features the lower abdomen which gives a warning sign in PID.
Warning signs of PID are;
- Frequent tiredness
- Persistent abdominal pain
- Painful menstruation
- Nausea and vomiting
- Vaginal discharge
- Vaginal itching
- Seizure in menstrual flow. It’s most common in patients, as the development of PID can lead to the woman not menstruating for several months or years.
- Development of Ovarian cyst
- Excessive bleeding
Prevention and Treatments
- PID could be prevented by proper hygiene in women.
- Treat vaginal infections.
- Conduct regular checkup.
- Help your partner, by encouraging him to run a medical test.
- See your doctor or pharmacist who will relate with a radiographer and medical lab. scientist for proper diagnosis and treatment with antibiotics.
- Surgery could also be required when the patient is seriously ill and require hospital care if conservative management is unsuccessful.
- Take fruits regularly
- Make time with not less than 5mg of folic acid daily.
Good health is a goal this year. Live well
- Pelvic inflammatory disease,
Blacks Medical Dictionary