Hi friends, I hope you learned one or two things in our Series I; here is the concluding part of the measures to ensure makeup does not affect the eye health.
Before usage test product
it is of necessity to test cosmetic products before applying them on the eyes. You can apply little of the product on the back of your hand or neck as a test first before applying on the eyes. Cosmetics should not be applied on the eyes just recovering from eye infection.
Avoid the use of false eyelashes
Eyelashes naturally have bacteria on them which can affect the eyes. In addition, applying any type of adhesive near the eyes can cause problems if glue enters the tear film. Glue on the ocular surface can cause abrasions, bacterial infection which can lead to scars or lead to potentially permanent visual damage. Even if you have to use a false eyelash, ensure that the glue is a bit dry on the false eyelashes before applying on the eyes.
Be conscious of scratches
Pieces of makeup, for example the dust particles of eye shadow can land in the eyes and cause redness or irritation. More serious infection that threatens sight can result if the surface of the eye is scratched with an infected brush or makeup pencil. When applying eye shadow to the eyes, make sure the eyes are completely closed and the use of eye shadow shed is encouraged.
There are some useful tips for the proper use of eye cosmetics.
- Immediately stop the usage of eye products that cause irritation. If irritation persists, consult an expert.
- Wash your hands before applying eye cosmetics because the bacteria on the hand can cause infection to the eyes.
- Make sure that any tools to be used near the eyes are clean.
- Take extra care in using eye cosmetics if any allergy is noticed.
- Avoid using eye cosmetics if there is redness or infection around the skin of the eye. Wait until the area is healed.
- Do not share your makeup tools. Another person’s bacteria in your cosmetics can be harmful to you.
- Do not use old containers of eye cosmetics if you have not used the product for several months.
COMMON EYE INFECTIONS
- Conjunctivitis: this is the inflammation of the conjunctiva, the outer layer of the eye and inner surface of the eyelid. The infection can cause red and watery eye with sticky secretion.
- Stye: this is also known as a hordeolum. A stye is caused by the infection of the sebaceous gland, the base of the eyelash follicle, resulting in a painful red swelling that develops on the inside or outside of the eyelid. It is usually caused by staphylococci bacteria, though a blocked oil gland can also trigger it.
- Permanent Blindness: eyelashes hoard bacteria and eye brush can pick up bacteria and collect them in the makeup container when used carelessly. This makes the eyes vulnerable to eye infection. Symptoms may start from mild redness all the way to temporary or permanent blindness.
Keep it real cool and be beautiful anytime, any day.
- Opeyemi Fashina www.healthable.org,Makeup infections; How awful can it get and tips to avoid, 2015