Ekundayo Sayo and Ijaola Tope
Why you need Omega-3-Fatty acids in your body system.
Hi readers, Lovely week I hope you are having a good time. I am convinced someone is curious to know what Omega-3-fatty acids are all about.
Sources of Omega-3-fatty acids oil
Well, omega-3-fatty acids or n-3-fatty acids are both of the nomenclature associated with the ‘miracle’ polyunsaturated fatty acids involved in human physiology and they include;-
The Numerous Benefits of Omega-3-fatty acid
Let us tell you why you must have omega 3 fatty acids in your body system and please read carefully:
- Omega-3 fatty acids supplements can low the blood pressure of patients with an abnormal amount of fats in their blood (dyslipidaemia).
- Fish oil in Schizophrenia. It also produces a greater reduction in symptoms and tardive dyskinesia.
- The omega-3 fatty acid is involved in maintaining neuronal membrane proteins and in the production of prostaglandins and leukotrienes. They have been suggested as treatments for a variety of psychiatric illnesses but most researchers relate to their use in schizophrenia and prospective trials suggest useful efficacy.
- Prevention of Asthma in children. Studies have found that teenage children of women who took fish oil during pregnancy were less likely to develop asthma.
- In Pregnancy and Labor. Women who ate eggs enriched with omega-3s were less likely to go into premature labour according to a study carried out on women in 2003.
- It is also capable of reducing cardiac arrest deaths and continuous use can lower any cardiovascular problems (heart failure).
- Fish oil supplementation has a significant therapeutic effect on children with autism.
- In diabetic patients, Omega3-fatty acid supplements decrease homocysteine level and improve macro-and microvascular function in subjects with type 2 diabetes mellitus.
- EPA supplementation has therapeutic value in the treatment of chronic hepatitis C patients.
- A higher intake of omega3 fatty acids may reduce the risk of pneumonia.
- Omega 3-fatty acid reduces the severity of symptoms in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus
- In elderly people, EPA and DHA are capable of postponing cognitive decline in elderly men.
- OMEGA -3- fatty acid may also have therapeutic value in the treatment of dry eye syndrome.
- It prevents the formation of urinary calcium oxalate stone formation.
- Omega 3 fatty acids decrease the severity of autoimmune disorders.
- Dietary Omega 3 fatty acids may protect smokers against chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
- Omega-3 fatty acid EPA is as effective as Fluoxetine (an antidepressant drug) in the treatment of depression.
- They have anti-inflammatory effects and thus could be of benefit in generalized body pain.
- They are good antioxidants and also improve the skin appearance thus ultimately defying the aging process.
The clinical lesson is that we should encourage natural and drug supplements for Omega 3 fatty acid, EPA, and DHA for our children and other members of the family.
- R Morgan Griffin
Who needs Omega 3s
2. Tia Ghose et al (2015)
Omega 3s may prevent schizophrenia
3. DHA-EPA OMEGA 3 INSTITUTE
Dietary sources of omega-3-fatty acids
www.dha omega 3.org
4. David Taylor, Carlos Paton, Robert Kerwin; Maudley Prescribing Guidelines 9th Edition Pages 89-90