Instead of trying quick fix, artificial means for weight loss, it’s best to go in for natural, healthy means: regular exercise, a nutritious, low-calorie diet and stress control. Many weight-loss pills have serious side-effects and are therefore best avoided.
Weight-loss pills can help obese patients only if used together with a restricted diet and regular exercise or the treatment will be ineffective. Also, they are meant for simple nutritional obesity and have no role in patients suffering from other causes of increased weight such as thyroid disorders, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), side effect of certain drugs, etc.
Different weight-loss pills work in different ways. Sibutramine is a weight-loss agent that acts on the brain to enhance satiety, helping patients feel satisfied with a smaller portion of food. The problem with the pill is that the weight loss is rather modest-in the range of two to four kilos at the most-and much of the benefit is lost when it is discontinued. The drug also increases the risk of heart attacks and strokes by 16%.
Therefore, its use has been banned in Europe. Another drug orlistat acts within the stomach and small intestine by preventing the absorption of up to one- third of dietary fat. Its side-effects include increased defecation, menstrual irregularity, fatigue, sometimes jaundice or even liver failure and rectal bleeding. It can cause severe hypoglycemia (low blood sugar levels) in diabetic patients. It must not be used by breastfeeding mothers.
Healthy habits are not taken care of by a majority of the people. In this techno savvy world with people running after money, there is need for someone to keep reminding us to take care of our health. Here are a few healthy habits that can be practiced in our everyday life with no extra efforts, regardless of our age or gender.
- Compulsory Breakfast: The first and foremost is to eat our breakfast every morning. There is a saying like our lifetime gets reduced when we skip each breakfast. Breakfast is vital to maintain a healthy & a problem free stomach.
- Good sleep: A good sleep is absolutely necessary for a healthy body and mind. Good sleep not only means sleeping for a long time (8 hours preferably) but also sleeping with a peaceful mind. A sound peaceful sleep is essential for a good healthy life.
- Drink lot of Water: Water is the best medicine for a majority of the diseases. We got to drink a lot of water every day, almost 8 liters per day. Water helps us keep our body clean & fit.
- Relationships: Always maintain a healthy relation with other people. This causes your mind and heart to be more fresh & peaceful. This in turn leads to a healthy life. Speak to your children or old age people at least for an hour everyday, which reduces your burden to a great extent. Healthy relations lead to a healthy life.
- Take a good walk: Take a good walk every day, which is a very good habit regardless of the age group and gender. Walking helps you keep your mind at peace and helps in burning the cholesterol & maintaining a healthy body.
- Do Yoga & Meditation: Yoga is proved to be the best way to attain the healthiest life, both mental & body health. Spare at least half an hour for yoga & meditation each day to maintain a good health.
- Dental hygiene: Take good care of your dental hygiene. Brush in the morning and at night before sleep. These are very healthy habits for all.
- Snacks replaced by fruits & veggies: Instead of munching snacks, it would be much better & healthier if we take to consuming fruits & vegetables that help in nourishing our body and also increasing our memory power (providing body & mental health).