The drug Flagyl
This drug is arguably one of the most purchased drugs in Africa but the medicinal use of flagyl also cannot be over emphasized according to a random research. I was in gathering with a group of Experienced Clinical Pharmacists in Federal Medical Centre Obstetrics and Gynecology Unit of Yenagoa Bayelsa state Nigeria, it was argued and concluded that its one of the antibacterial with less resistance from organisms and has proved to be effective in gynecological procedures. Flagyl is mostly included in treatment procedure at hospitals after surgery or acute (minor) ailments.
What is flagyl?
A brand name of a drug called Metronidazole; used as an antibacterial and antiprotozoal in the treatment of some specific diseases in the body.
Facts about flagyl
Produced as tablets, capsules, creams, suppositories and injections.
No evidence of fetal harm has been discovered in animal studies and so can be used in pregnancy but must be under medical supervision.
Not safe for lactating mothers because of its tumorigenicity shown in mouse experiment.
Disulfram-like reaction when taken with alcohol
Combined with other drugs for treatment of some specific disease condition
As a professional, advice to patients on flagyl (Metronidazole) in the treatment of diseases in healthcare
- Patients be advised that antibacterials (including metronidazole) should only be used to treat bacterial infections and not used to treat viral infections (e.g., the common cold)
- Importance of completing full course of therapy, even if feeling better after a few days of recovery
- Patients be advised that skipping doses or not completing the full course of therapy may decrease effectiveness and increase the likelihood that bacteria will develop resistance and will not be treatable with metronidazole or other antibacterials in the future.
- Flagil extended-release tablets should be taken at least 1 hour before or 2 hours after meals; optimum absorption occurs under fasting conditions.
- Patients advised to avoid alcohol during and for at least 1 day after conventional tablets or at least 3 days after receiving metronidazole capsules or extended-release tablets.
- Patients be advised to promptly discontinue metronidazole and contact clinician if abnormal neurologic signs occur
- Importance of informing clinicians or pharmacists of existing or contemplated therapy, including prescription and OTC drugs
- Importance of women informing clinician if they are or plan to become pregnant or plan to breast-feed
- The importance of advising patients of other important precautionary information
Medical Conditions for flagyl?
Gingivitis and other oral infections
Ulcer caused by Helicobacter pylori
Never swallow a drug without proper consultation because the effect of wrong use of some drugs can change your life forever.
- Complete drug formulary for Nigerian Professionals 2008/2009 Edition Pg 331-332
- Pharmacia. Flagyl (metronidazole tablets) prescribing information. Chicago, IL; 2004 Jan.
- Pharmacia. Flagyl 375 (metronidazole capsules) prescribing information. Chicago, IL; 2005 Apr.
- Pharmacia. Flagyl ER (metronidazole extended release tablets) prescribing information. Chicago, IL; 2003 Aug.
- Drugs.com, Metronidazole Monograph, www.drugs.com