CANCER AND FOOD
Cancer and food share a lot of intertwined advantages and disadvantages at the same time. It is good to know certain types of foods can cause cancer in our body while some helps prevent cancer.
Cancer is also known as a malignant tumor or malignant neoplasm; is a group of diseases involving abnormal cell growth with the potential to invade or spread to other parts of the body. Cancer can also be said to be any malignant growth or tumor caused by abnormal and uncontrolled cell division; it may spread to other parts of the body through the lymphatic system or the blood stream; not all tumors are cancerous, benign tumors do not spread to other part of the body.
SYMPTOMS OF CANCER
Symptoms of cancer metastasis depend on the location of the tumor.
BRAIN- Headaches, Seizures, Vertigo
RESPIRATORY- Cough, Hemoptysis, Dyspnea
LYMPH NODES- Lymphad enopathy
LIVER- Hepatomegaly, Jaundice
SKELETAL- Pain, Fractures, spinal cord compression
When cancer begins, it invariably produces no symptoms. Signs and symptoms only appear as the mass continues to grow or ulcerates.
CAUSES OF CANCER
The great majority of cancer, some 90-95% is due to environmental factors, 5-10% is due to inherited genetics. Common environment factors that contribute to cancer death include tobacco (25-30%), Infections (15-20%), Radiation (ionizing and non- Ionizing) up to 10%, stress, lack of physical activity, environmental pollutants.
Diet and obesity are related (30-35%) of cancer death. More than half of the effect from diet is due over nutrition (eating too much), rather than eating few vegetables or other healthful foods.
FOODS THAT CAUSE CANCER
PROCESSED MEATS- It was confirmed in 2015 by the IARC of the World Health Organization that the excessive consumption of red or processed meat increase risk of breast cancer. Colon cancer and pancreatic cancer, due to the presence of carcinogen in the processed meat (example; bacon, ham, hot dog, sausages) .
- PROCESSED FOODS- Carcinogens (cancer producing chemicals) are concern especially with array of additives, preservatives, flavor, enhancers, pesticides and other chemical that we use in producing and marketing food. Junk foods, hydrogenated oils and a variety of processed food contain chemicals that cause cancer.
- NON ORGANIC FOOD- The Environmental Working Group (EWG) found that up to 98% of all conventional produce is contaminated with cancer causing pesticides. Even fruits can be contaminated, some imported fruits preservatives and pesticides are used for good marketing but these fruits contain carcinogens.
- MICRO WAVING- Micro waving should be avoided to some extent because some foods when exposed to radiation can cause poisoning and some foods micro waved can contain carcinogens so when such meals are exposed to heat increases the carcinogens content causing cancer.
- TABACCO- Smoking tobacco causes one of every cancer.
- ALCOHOL- Heavy drinking has been clearly linked to cancers of the liver, throat and esophagus. In women is linked to breast cancer.
FOODS THAT CAN PREVENT CANCER
- FRUITS- Vitamin c found in most fruits like grapes, oranges; contain antioxidant that helps prevent the formation of cancer. Also berries are ranked among the most likely to reduce cancer.
- SWEET POTATOES- Beta- Carotene is found in sweet potatoes is a powerful antioxidant that prevents cancer. Beta- Carotene can also be found in oranges, vegetables and leafy greens.
- VEGETABLES- Vegetables contain Phyto- nutrients; naturally occurring chemicals compounds that are as important as vitamins. Phyto- nutrients found in vegetables help to prevent cancer.
- NUTS- Nuts contain vitamin E which can prevent certain cancers. So taking pea nut and peanut butter as a supplement can also help prevent risk of cancer.
- TEA- Green tea contains catechins that help stop growth of cancer cells and prevent cellular mutations that lead to cancer development.
- Use whole grain breads and cereals they contain vitamins, minerals, fiber that refined foods do not have to fight cancer cells.
WARNING- OVER NUTRITION (EATING TOO MUCH) IS RELATED TO HALF OF THE CANCER DEATHS. SO WE NEED TO CHECK OUR DIET FOR HEALTHY LIVING.
“TEST EVERYTHING. HOLD ON TO THE GOOD. AVOID EVERY KIND OF EVIL.”
1 THESSALONIANS 5:21-22.
HEALTH POWER BY AILEEN LUDINGTON,MD& HANS DIEHL, DRHSC, MPH.