BIOTIN, MAGIC FOR YOUR HAIR STABILITY
Hello friends, in our last edition, I mentioned biotin as one of those factors that help with healthy nails. Here, I will share with you the importance of biotin to our beauty and sources of biotin available in your locality.
Biotin is an essential water-soluble vitamin that is also regarded in some cases as vitamin H, Vitamin B7 or coenzyme R. Biotin greatly improves keratin and collagen integrity for hair, skin, and nails. Keratin is a fibrous protein that is found in the outer layer of skin, and in horny tissues such as hair, nails, feathers, and hooves. Biotin promotes healthy nerve tissues and ease muscle pain. In addition, biotin helps your body turn food to fuel for energy, and works in the metabolism (breakdown) of protein, fats, and carbohydrates. The most important function as it regards this article is for development of strong nails, and healthy hair.
Dosage of Biotin
Biotin is found in most food high in protein. The recommended daily allowance for biotin is between 250-300mcg.
Intake level of Biotins with Age and Conditions
From birth to 12 months – 7mcg
Age 1 to 3 – 8mcg
Age 4 to 8 – 12mcg
Age 9 to 13 – 20mcg
Age 14 to 18 -25mcg
Over 18 – 30mcg
During pregnancy – 30mcg
If breastfeeding – 35mcg
Biotin is a coenzyme of some carboxylase enzymes including pyruvate carboxylase, acetyl-CoA carboxylase, propionyl-CoA carboxylase, and beta-methylmalonyl-CoA carboxylase which are all involved in intermediary metabolism. Without biotin, these enzymes will not work properly and various complications can occur involving skin, intestinal tract, and nervous system.
What happens when take overdose of Biotin
Overdose of biotin may result in skin rashes, lower levels of vitamins B6 and C, slow release of insulin which results in high level of blood sugar in the body.
Biotin deficiency is rare but low-level may result brittleness of nails, hair loss, and unhealthy skin.
Some drugs that lowers biotin level in your body:
- Antibiotics; especially taken for a long time.
- Anticonvulsant medications such as carbamazepine, phenobarbital, phenytoin, and primidone.
Sources of biotin and their effects on your hair stabilty
1. Cold Water Fish –one of the best food sources of biotin in fact it contains its greatest level. In addition it contains high concentration of omega 3 fatty acids –the substances responsible for reducing accumulation of fats in the arteries and level of bad cholesterol as well as improving blood circulation. Concentration of biotin in cold water fish makes it one of the greatest biotin rich foods for hair growth. I strongly recommend you add it to your daily food diet.
2. Walnut –is one of the rich biotin foods for hair growth and hair stability. In addition, it contains antioxidants including zinc, potassium, iron, calcium, and protein that your body needs to promote youthfulness of your cells and prevent ageing.
3. Sardines –full of protein, omega 3, and biotin. It has more fat than other fish. They prevent cancer, good for cardiovascular integrity, improve your sight, and a unique but cheap food for the hair and skin.
4. Eggs –egg yolk contains very high concentration of biotin. Cooked egg contains 13-14mcg biotin. However, raw egg white contains the protein, avidin, which prevents absorption of biotin in the body and consistent eating for several months will eventually cause biotin deficiency.
5. Yogurt –rich in protein and biotin contents. Helps develop healthy hair and nails. The ones with little quantity of sugar are the best because sugar breaks down collagen in the body.
6. Yeast –one of the best biotin rich foods for hair growth. Whole-wheat bread contains up to 6mcg of biotin. It’s also included in your hair cream which prevents baldness.
7. Diary –milk and cheese are rich sources containing up to 2mcg (in cheese) and 10mcg (in whole milk).
8. Mushrooms –they contain up to about 10mcg
9. Avocados –rich source of nutrients including proteins, minerals, vitamins, fibre, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids. One whole avocado contains about 6mcg of biotin.
10. Berries – very rich antioxidants (blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, cranberries) and likewise rich in biotin.
11. Legumes –several bean varieties, peanuts, soy products, have rich concentration of biotin.
12. Almonds –very rich in proteins, vitamin E, biotin which keeps the skin smooth; also helps to enhance and improve your skin, hair, and nails and further boost the hair growth.
13. Carrot –has high concentration of biotin in addition to the beta-carotene it contains. Good for hair growth and smooth skin as well as good eye health.
Your hair is a symbol of your beauty…
- Everyday health