So many people start their day without food. The adults take a quick cup of coffee and an increasing number of children get to school having eaten at all. Most people say they do not have time to take food in the morning. While some say they skip breakfast so they could lose weight. All these are mere excuses; breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and for those who think skipping breakfast will help them to lose weight permit me to say you are hurting yourself. You are at a disadvantage because skipping breakfast makes you hungrier and gives room for snacking and unnecessary eating leading to weight gain.
Benefits of taking Breakfast
Research has been made by scientists on the benefits of healthy breakfast. Breakfast is good for the old and young. The wonderful benefits are
- Boosting of energy
- Increasing attention span
- Help in weight lose
- Heightens sense of wellbeing.
- Longer life
Best Time to Take Breakfast
Breakfast is the first meal of the day and is taken in the early hours of the morning. Preferably 7am to 10am any other meal is a mid-morning meal. Some people say they do not feel hungry until midmorning. This would be because of eating late at night or eating heavy at night. So the stomach is still busy doing the digesting so by morning the stomach is tired and does not need food.
- Lighter meals should be eaten preferably 4 hours before bedtime.
- If you feel hungry between dinner and bedtime take only water or you take fruits.
For those who do not have time for breakfast this is a very bad habit. If you notice most days you are always feel very tired, stressed before the end of the day and most times leading to headaches. This bad habit can be changed to a good one. Solutions –
- Try going to bed early so you can wake up feeling refresh
- Begin with a glass or two of water to rinse and refresh your stomach
- Do some exercises
- Have your bath and dress then fix up your breakfast.
These solutions can also work for children.
Best Meals for Breakfast
Breakfast meals should contain fiber which can be gotten from whole plant foods. It should have enough nutrients with less salts, sugar, fat and sodium if it is a cereal. Breakfast should be built around;
- Whole grains – Rice, wheat, Millets, Corn, etc.
- Tubers and Legumes – Potatoes, Yam, Peas, Beans, etc.
- Fruits and Vegetables – apples, carrot, oranges, grapes, etc.
- Multigrain cereals
Dangers of Skipping Breakfast
- Needless fatigue – The brain cells have no stored blood sugar – no energy store so skipping breakfast gives room for tiredness leading to stress.
- Weight gain
- Chronic disease
- Reduce Glucose level in the body causing less mental activities and less attention span.
Long Term Health Benefit
A steady and consistent intake of breakfast provides inestimable benefits.
- Breakfast provides steady flow of energy.
- Stabilizes glucose level in the brain improving mental function and attention span
- Less chronic disease
- Longer life
- Better health.
You are what you eat and you are the way you eat……
Health Power: Aileen Ludington, MD & HANS Diehl, DRHSC, MPH.