Antimalarial; What you need to know

    Malaria and Africa

    Every year, Nigeria records an estimated 100 million malaria cases and about 300,000 deaths. 97% of Nigeria’s population is at risk of malaria, the remaining 3% are believed to live in the malaria-free highland(antimalarial). Malaria is therefore considered a major public health problem in Nigeria where it accounts for more cases and deaths than any other country.

    Malaria is the second leading cause of death from infectious disease in Africa after HIV/AIDS.

    Best way to manageĀ  Malaria

    In an endemic environment, malaria prevention is often the priority of most health providers however the place of curative treatment cannot be pushed aside. If malaria is diagnosed and treated promptly, a full recovery can be expected. As such, it is recommended that treatment should be started as soon as a blood test confirms malaria parasites.

    Best Safe Antimalarial

    Antimalarial treatment approaches over the years have migrated from monotherapy (e.g artesunate alone, amodiaquine alone, etc) to combination therapy (e.g artemether+lumenfantrine, artesunate+amodiaquine, etc). The combination therapy helps to increase compliance and prevent drug-resistant strains of the parasites from emerging.

    Each antimalarial may have specific precautions and direction of use, your doctor or pharmacist will be in a good position to guide you.

     

    Note that not every fever is a sign of malaria, we recommend you run a malaria test to confirm if the parasites are truly in your bloodstream. Self-medication, over the use of antimalarials, non-compliance to the medications can pose a very dangerous risk in malaria treatment.

    Also, note that the combination therapies are curative (clears malaria parasites from the bloodstream) and not preventive. Most of the antimalarial preventive therapies are single agents, and they help to reduce your risk of being infected.

    Kindly consult your doctor or pharmacist about the preventive therapy available in your locality.

    Most of the available antimalarial medications are designed for 3days or less. Ensure to take the medications as directed to avoid treatment failure.

    https://www.vbhealth.com.ng/6-people-that-mustnt-take-artemether/2017/

     

    …to be continued

     

     

    Subscribe
    Notify of
    guest
    0 Comments
    Inline Feedbacks
    View all comments